Thursday, December 3, 2015

Advent

Now that Advent is upon us, the first snowflakes have fallen and my first Christmas market is history, I have dug out my musical favorite for the season. As soon as I hear drums and trumpets announcing the first measures of Bach's Christmas Oratorio, I know that the holiday season is officially opened. My own recording of all six cantatas is a rather old rendition by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, but for simplicity's sake, I have chosen a newer rendition that is a bit leaner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggm0SZCWKZo   It is interesting to hear how our ideas of musical interpretation have changed over the  years. (Don't worry, I won't get into the music theory of it all!) Do have a listen and enjoy Bach's masterpiece. No matter which interpretation, it is a timeless treasure.

Here are also a few impressions of last weekend's Advent market at the Liebenberg castle.


 


 It was a good weekend  - for the visitors and vendors, too.  This coming Sunday, I'll be standing outdoors at another market here in Berlin (Mexikoplatz). It can be a chilly event, but, having grown up in New York State, I learned the benefits of heavy boots and long underwear at an early age. And I do enjoy the interaction with all the visitors, customers and friends at these markets.

I send my wishes to all for a joyous and blessed Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment